My answer to What are the viva questions for fluid mechanics lab?
Answer by Arûn Râinâ:
Flow measurement devices.
- What is meant by calibration?
- What is meant by coefficient of discharge?
- What is the use of Venturimeter?
- What is the use of measuring tank?
- What is discharge? What is its unit?
- What is mass flow rate? Mention its unit?
- What is volume flow rate? write its unit.
- Why do we use logarithmic graphs?
- State the equation for theoretical discharge.
- How will you find out actual discharge?
- Describe the principle of manometers and its uses.
- What is meant by Head?
- What is the density of water?
- What is density of mercury?
- Calculate head of 10.3 meters of water in terms of head of mercury.
- Where is the application of Notches?
- What is use of plotting different graphs in this experiment?
- Is the Coefficient of discharge a constant for all notches?
- What are the aims of this experiment?
- What do you understand from the graphs that we have plotted?
- Give the equation for theoretical discharge.
- Metacentric height
- Explain the physical significance of Radius of gyration
- What is meant by metacentric height?
- What is the effect of center of gravity on the stability of the floating body?
- What is the effect of mass of the floating body on the mean time of oscillation?
- Write Bernoulli’s equation.
- Classify turbo machines.
- Classify turbines based on the working, based on head and based on flow.
- What are the uses of characteristic curves?
- Explain the working of Pelton wheel.
- Explain the working of Kaplan turbine?
- Why reaction turbines are called so?
- Why Pelton wheel is called an impulse turbine?
- What is specific speed?
- Define a) Volumetric efficiency b) Mechanical efficiency c) Overall efficiency.
- Give expression for water Power.
- Give expression for shaft power.
- Differentiate between power and work.
- What is Venturimeter constant?
- Discuss about different losses in turbines.
- Discuss about unit quantities.
- Classification of pumps
- Define slip.
- What is the function of air vessel?
- What is meant by positive displacement pump? Give examples
- Discuss different losses in pumps
- Working principle of centrifugal pump
- Working principle of reciprocating pump.
- What is the use of characteristic curves of pump?
- What is meant by operating point?
- Describe the effect of discharge on efficiency of the pump.